The symbol of 2019 is a pig, and for sure each of you met dozens of holiday photos of your friends in your social media feed in an embrace with cute little artiodactyls. Unfortunately, behind the lens of mini-pigs - one of the types of so-called "decorative" dwarf pigs - they often become objects of exploitation and abuse.
From caprice to cruelty
Any business related to the sale of thoroughbred animals today is somehow connected with the deception of customers. Unfortunately, the "implementation" of mini or micro-pigs is no exception. The scheme is simple: the buyer is offered the cutest piglet of the micro-pig breed, funny grunting, running fast and able to give a person all the warmth that fits in his small body. After a few months, the new owner of the animal sees that the mumps has grown too much in size. It turns out that unscrupulous breeders sold him a completely ordinary mini-pig under the guise of a dwarf. But such animals in adulthood can weigh from 40 to 80 kg! What to do to the deceived buyer? The question is open. Unfortunately, it’s much easier for a lot of people to give innocent pigs to ... a slaughterhouse. The rest refuse to raise a cloven-hoofed animal and give the pet to shelters or take it out of town altogether, stop letting it into the house and leave it to its fate. For abandoned pigs there is even a completely human name - refuseniks.
Meanwhile, mini-pigs themselves are quite difficult animals. They are strongly attached to the owner and express their love in different ways, for example, they rush from happiness all over the house and knock down corners, tear boxes and spoil furniture. And it happens that the day at the mini-pig is not set in the morning, and because of the bad mood, he bites, snarls. Pigs do not like loneliness and require constant attention 24/7, at least in the first year and a half, until they get used to the house completely and get used to the special routine. Such an animal cannot be compared with a cat or dog, but people who dream of a mini-pig often do not think about it.
What you need to know
When thinking about the possibility of having a pet like a dwarf pig, you should definitely learn the following:
· In the world there are no mini-pigs the size of a dog breed Chihuahua
Mumps grows and gains weight during the first 5 years of life
· It is practically impossible to predict in advance what size an animal will reach in adulthood
Mini-pigs can cause allergies
· Such an animal rarely gets along with children and the elderly
Mumps can be aggressive, bite, damage furniture and lead to costly repairs
· Care for a mini-pig is difficult to call low-cost
· A pig requires a lot of attention and care of the owner, much more than a cat or dog
· Even buying a mini-pig from breeders advised by friends or from foreign breeders is not a guarantee of protection against fraud
Many conscious owners of mini-pigs are active on the Web, create blogs and write articles calling NOT to start a pig. According to them, an unprepared person will torment himself and torment the animal, even if unintentionally.
We asked for clarification of the matter to Elizabeth Rodina, the creator of the online community for helping dwarf pigs, “Mini-pigs are human friends. Pig Lovers Club ”, singer and winner of numerous beauty contests (“ Mrs. Russia 2017 ”,“ Mrs RUSSIA 40+ 2018 ”, etc.):
- Elizabeth, how long has your pig lived?
- I brought my first pig, Havrosha, on the eve of last Year of the pig. That is, exactly 12 years ago. And it completely changed my life! For example, I refused meat, created the community “Mini-pigs - friends of man”.
- Was it difficult to realize that your pet is not a species of dwarf pigs and will continue to grow?
- Contrary to the assurances of the breeders, mini-pigs grow 4-5 years old, adults weigh an average of 50-80 kg. At first I was scared, and then I got three more.
- What does the domestic pig eat?
- My animals, like me, are vegetarians. Basis of nutrition: cereals, fruits and vegetables. My legumes are not eaten by my pigs, nor are cabbage, radish, and everything that is gas-generating. Pineapples, mangoes, kiwi and all exotic fruits are very fond of.
- Do you treat pets the same way you treat a cat or dog, or a pig can’t be compared with the usual four-legged?
“Pigs don't look like dogs or cats at all.” They are special. As Churchill said, a cat looks down at us, a dog looks up at us, and a pig looks at us as an equal. I agree with that.
- You are the founder of a club for helping dwarf pigs - how did you get the idea to create such a community?
- People acquire these pets without having enough information. For example, none of the breeders said that sharp tusks grow in wild boars (even weighing 30 kg) by 3-4 years, and in girls they “blow the roof” during leakages. After a year or two, or even after a couple of weeks, they begin to attach the mini-pigs with the text “Take this homeless person away, he stinks” or “Urgently take away, otherwise I’ll put him to sleep tomorrow.” Unfortunately, these are direct quotes from appeals to our community. People buy a toy, but in fact they acquire a living being with their needs. The mini-pigs need serious care, they need to spend almost all their free time. Otherwise, the animal will try to get a portion of your attention in any way.
- What kind of help do dwarf pigs need?
“For example, refuseniks need to find a new home.” But it is almost impossible. In fact, nobody needs such pets. If people knew all the nuances, they would not have bought them from breeders for 45-60 thousand. Therefore, myths about non-growing and trouble-free mini-pigs are so popular on the Internet. This is a business.
- Are there many Russian breeders who deceive the buyer by attaching to him not a micro-pig, but a future big pet?
- The main problem is that people are not ready to devote almost all their free time to a pet. But in a different way it does not work out with them. The mini-pig will try to take part in any of your household chores: from cooking to mopping. In the first case, help may result in a bite in response to a refusal of another treat, in the second - a spilled bucket and leakage to neighbors from the bottom. And I immediately brought a couple of examples, and there are a dozen of them per day.
Mini-pig is a pet for a person who is not afraid of difficulties and is ready to change and change his way of life, way of thinking. Naturally, not all members of your family will be delighted with such changes, and you will most likely have to make a choice: say goodbye to a pig or fundamentally change your life.
- It’s no secret that many deceived buyers “rent” their recently beloved pet to a slaughterhouse simply because they don’t know how to properly care for it. What does home routine and care for such an animal consist of? Is it hard to keep him in an apartment, for example?
- I believe that in any case, the pet should stay in the family! Most of the pigs after parting with the owner dies. Even if the pig did not go to the slaughterhouse, but ended up in a shelter or in a house in the village, this is not a happy end. As practice shows, after a couple of months, the pig dies from heart failure. Mumps are very susceptible animals.
A grown-up mini-pig is a great reason to change your life for the better: to move to the suburbs, find a job that will allow you to spend more time at home, review food (according to the rules for keeping mini-pigs, you can’t contact with meat, which is quite logical). Unfortunately, most people are not ready for such a change.
- Which solution, in your opinion, is the most environmentally friendly and correct in relation to a mump that turned out to be far from a micro-pig?
- I advise future buyers of the mini-pig to find real owners of real pigs from the nursery, ask them what difficulties they encountered, whether they recommend making the same cloven-hoofed friend. It’s even better to find people who got rid of the mumps from this nursery, and find out why they did it. As a rule, after talking with the owners of "graduates", the desire to acquire a piglet disappears. Starting with what people see in the photo of the graduate of the “huge boar”, the breeder showed completely different pictures and even gave a “guarantee of dwarfism”.
- A person decides to continue taking care of the pet, even if he grows into a massive animal. What should you be prepared for?
- For the purchase of a country house, minivan, services of a nanny during business trips and vacations. At the same time, it is extremely difficult to find a person who agrees to care for an adult mini-pig in your absence. The pigs do not want to walk with strangers, they begin to crap at home with excitement. It happens even worse - they rush to the "nanny". There was a case when a woman caring for a mini-pig during the absence of the owners, was taken to the hospital with lacerations. After this, the pig was sent to the farm, as there were children in the family.
- For many, the very desire to have a dwarf pig is a certain status quo, proceeding from the desire to "not be like everyone else." Do you agree that having a mini-pig is an initially unethical decision?
- No I do not agree. I consider it a wrong decision to refuse them. After all, love works wonders! And if you work on yourself and transform your life, then the mini-pig can become a true friend and family member for many years! A pig is no worse than dogs and cats. It’s just that many people want to "show off", and then they realize that "there’s no hat for Senka." Only those people who are really ready for this should start a mini-pig! This is not a tribute to fashion and not a way to stand out. This is a way of life. Therefore, when young girls write to the community: “I want a minipig,” I understand that they are simply not in the topic about whom it is.
By the way, I also devote my successes in beauty contests to some extent to pigs. Over the years, the image of beauties in crowns with “cute” dogs and cats in their arms has been created. I believe that the real beauty is that people can be kind to all animals. I generally for beauty without sacrifices. I try to use cosmetics that are not tested on animals and do not contain components of animal origin. I am glad that many beauty contests are switching to "ethical furs" (eco-fur). The image of a beautiful woman in a crown and in a sable fur coat is firmly entrenched in the minds of people seeking gloss and glamor. But in our forces you can change something in this direction. As the saying goes, if you want to change the world, start with yourself.
- What would you like to wish to those who are thinking about buying a mini-pig?
- I wish you informed decisions and wisdom!
Photo by Denis Grigoriev and Victoria Votonovskaya
Where are you from?
At the mention of a mini-pig, an image of a small and cute pig usually appears, which sleeps with the kitten, sits on the hand of the mistress, walks on the harness. Instagram is full of these photos today. It's hard to believe, but initially this animal was much less glamorous.
It is believed that doctors were the first to think about reducing the size of pigs. According to a number of biological properties and physiological characteristics, pigs have significant similarities with humans. They are used as donors and model animals to develop methods for the prevention and treatment of many diseases.
True, to conduct full-fledged research on pigs, it was necessary to significantly reduce it. Firstly, in order for the size of the internal organs to become at least approximately comparable to the human ones, and secondly, to reduce the cost of maintenance. Even feeding animals by one and a half centners in weight was expensive for scientific centers.
The ancestor of many modern breeds of mini-pigs was the Vietnamese Mesopotamus. Through long selection work, scientists were able to bring out those whom we today call mini-pigs. The greatest successes were achieved in Germany. From there, three of the most famous dwarf pig breeds come from: Wiesenau, Bergstresser Knirt and Goettingen mini-pig.
In an animal the size of an average dog, enterprising people quickly discovered the potential of an exotic pet. And indeed, having decreased several times, pigs immediately became prettier in the eyes of the public. Various marketing tricks helped them to become even more attractive to customers.
Limits of excellence
There are no unified official standards for mini-pigs in Russia so every breeder interprets the concept of norm as he pleases. Realizing that the smaller and nicer the animal, the greater the demand, many sellers greatly downplay their size. Sometimes word of mouth starts too actively.
A lot of noise arose around New Zealand kun-kun. Even experts from the nonprofit association of defenders and breeders of these pigs had to intervene. The sellers claimed that kun-kun was one of the smallest breeds, and even ranked it among the so-called teacup-pigs ("with a tea cup").
In response to rumors of kun-kun miniature, the association emphasized that the standards have not yet been established, but an adult can easily weigh from 60 kg to 200 kg.
The Italian mini-maillino breed, which should grow no more than a cat and weigh about 12 kg, is considered the closest to ideal. But here everything is not so smooth. Firstly, no one has ever seen its representatives in Russia, and secondly, even those who are familiar with this breed admit that the reduction in size affected the animal’s health. Mini-Mayalino was practically unsuitable for reproduction. This explains its absence in the market.
It's time for a diet
It is impossible to say that all mini-pigs have health problems, a researcher at the Institute of Cytology and Genetics of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, candidate of biological sciences Sergey Nikitin, is sure. The main thing is that professionals deal with them. “Of course, when amateurs get down to business, all sorts of troubles begin. So let's start with what some sellers write. Recommendations - to feed only non-nutritious feeds of plant origin, to introduce various food restrictions - this is an amateurish approach. A normal pig, even wild, even domestic, reaches its maximum size of three years. If you will not feed it up to this age, you will get exactly what they offer on the Internet. The photo shows their underdevelopment: a very large head, short legs, a hefty grass belly. I can grow the same mini-pig from a large white pig, ”explains the scientist.
Sometimes sellers do that. For a mini-pig can issue the same Vietnamese pig. It will be extremely difficult for a layman to distinguish it from any other breed. “Of course, this can be done, but you need to be a very big specialist. The baby is the baby. You take a puppy, you think a small dog will grow up, and in a year - an elk in an apartment. Here also. They started to feed this pig normally - you look - well, it’s obviously an ordinary small greasy pig. Grew up - and got a bun. It’s small in length, but it’s the same in width and weighs 70 kg, ”says Sergei Nikitin in an interview with Izvestia.
Those who still want to buy a mini-pig, it is better to contact only trusted breeders and look at the parents of the animal. Numerous communities and clubs of owners of mini-pigs can help with the search. There you can find sales announcements and care tips.
First of all, those who have already become the owner of a hoofed pet, advise potential "colleagues" to prepare mentally and remove pink glasses. The palm-sized animal will never be. In a couple of years, it will turn into a huge, but still quite a real pig.Moreover, with character.
Both breeders and owners note that pigs are very smart and memorable. And far from always, these qualities facilitate their communication with a person. According to an employee of the Russian Academy of Sciences, given the strength of the animal, this can lead to serious consequences: “The males, of course, have fangs, and the female can just bite. And they bite well. In the end, they can simply hit the leg with a snout - this is also noticeable. "
As with any other animal, a mini-pig cannot be wound up like a toy. Such a pet needs an attentive, patient and responsible owner who took this step consciously, and not in pursuit of fashion.
What is a Mini Pig
Mini piggy domestic pigs have many distinctive features that distinguish them from other species.
- The weight of such a small pig can be from 9 to 120 kg. Those animals that reach a weight of a maximum of 30 kg belong to the dwarf subspecies. Such individuals are often brought as indoor. Their character, habits, they are very similar to dogs.
- Color can be very different. At the same time, the domestic pig does not have bristles, and therefore does not cause allergies.
- Piglets grunt, can screech or snort piercingly, as do large varieties. This can cause many problems when living in an apartment.
The standard by which the species belongs is not in this case. There are about 30 breeds of mini-pigs, and each has its own characteristics.
Dwarf pig breeds
Small domestic pigs Mini-pig come in different species, but only a few breeds are considered the most common.
- Bergstresser Knirt - German breed of dwarf pigs. It was bred in the middle of the 20th century. The weight of the pigs is 10-15 kg. Both females and males stand out with their large belly. Colors are different.
- Wiesenau most often have a black and white color, but can be almost any color. The weight of females and males is in the range of 20-25 kg. This little pig has an elongated patch. There are no folds at the base of the patch. Animals are beautiful with a good-natured disposition.
The mini-pig is constantly trying to get on the bed, and if it does not succeed, it will occupy the chair
Mini Pig Care at Home
Mini-pigs are kept both in the house and in personal territory. These are very cute, unpretentious creatures, but you need to be able to care for them.
- A separate place is made for the animal in the house. It can be a simple dog house from a pet store. On the street for them a small barn is arranged. The barn should be insulated, because these small domestic pigs tolerate the cold much worse than animals that are bred for meat.
- They need to be bathed regularly, because the mini-pig loves water procedures. Do it 2 times a week. You can use special detergents once a month. The rest of the time, the animal is simply given the opportunity to slop in the water.
Inspection by a veterinarian is carried out approximately 1 time per year
- Like other types of pigs, this one likes to dig the earth with his nose. At home, for this, they make places with a mountain of rags so that the pig can dig into them like in the ground.
- Potentially dangerous items must be hidden from these pigs. They are very curious and therefore can be injured.
- Piglets like to play with balls like toys. So it is important that they are in the house, otherwise the pet will be sad.
- As a toilet, you can buy a cat tray of the right size. But you can’t fill the filler in it, because the domestic pig scatters it throughout the house.
- Every 6 months hoof trimming is performed. If you can’t do it yourself, you need to take the animal to the veterinarian.
- Inspection by a veterinarian is carried out approximately 1 time per year. It is important to do all vaccinations, vaccinations, give anthelmintic, because the animal is susceptible to a wide variety of diseases.
- It is recommended to take a mini-pig for a walk about once a day or more often. Pigs of this species love walks in the fresh air. And so that the animal does not run away, they put on a simple leash.
How to feed a mini-pig
Despite the small size and home content, the mini-pig likes to eat well. And some breeds do not see measures in food, so if you do not limit them to certain portions, the animals will begin to suffer from obesity. What does the diet of a small domestic pig consist of?
Despite the small size and home content, the mini-pig likes to eat well
- Vegetables and fruits (chopped) - 35% of the total mass of feed.
- Seedless fish or diet meat - 20%.
- Cereals from cereals - 20%.
- Dairy products - 10%.
- Germinated grains - 5%.
- Bread - 5%.
- Grass - 3%.
- Fish oil - 2%.
Pigs are given about 2-3 times a day, at the same time. Piglets that have not yet grown should eat 4-5 times a day. It is important that the animal has access to clean water. And if desired, you can add a little vitamin supplements to the feed. But if the domestic pig is not sick, this is not necessary.
Many breeders plant small pigs for breeding. This is a profitable business, but requires a responsible approach. The puberty of the animal occurs at about 2 years. For mating, the female and male are left in the same room for a day. It is desirable that the place is familiar to both individuals, but mainly to the female. If she worries, is afraid of a new place, then she simply will not let the boar to her. After about 5 days, mating is repeated for reliability.
Many breeders plant small pigs for breeding
The female carries young growth for approximately 115 days. At the end of the term you need to prepare everything you need for childbirth. The place where the female will give birth is lined with a clean cloth, it is also important to add straw so that the female calms down by digging it with a nickle. It is important to set the bowl with food and fresh water during childbirth. A heater is installed (the place for childbirth should be close to +30 degrees in temperature).
Both the breeder and the veterinarian must be present during childbirth because help may be required. It is advisable to cut off the umbilical cord for newborns with sterile scissors and cauterize with iodine. Wipe the eyes, ears, noses of piglets with a clean cloth. The female herself usually takes care of her offspring, but you need to pay attention to how well the pigs develop, how well they gain weight, and, of course, carry out routine vaccinations.
Owner reviews about Mini Pig
Reviews about mini-pigs are different. Such animals have only recently begun to be bred en masse at home, so it is not surprising that they can cause difficulties.
- Vladislav Garmash: “A few years ago we bought a small pig - a mini-pig. We thought it would be very interesting, a new experience after the dog, but it turned out that there was too much trouble with them. To begin with, it is very difficult to find a tray that fits in size, toys, even a collar for a walk. But, in addition, our baby is very demanding on attention. He has to devote a lot of time to him, often bathe, entertain, otherwise he does not scream with his own voice. But, in general, this is a nice creature. "
- Dmitry Sonko: “My daughter asked for a pig for a long time, and we bought her a mini-pig. The most difficult thing was to find a thoroughbred pig. We don’t have any good nurseries, so we looked for in people that they were bred. The animal is interesting, good-natured, but demanding! Not only does he like to play, if it’s dirty in the tray, he will screech so that they clean and don’t go down there again until we get out. The good news is that there is no smell from them as such, and they do not cause allergies. ”
Valery Rybka: “After 2 cats and dogs, they decided to experiment with new animals. Mini-pig bought overseas. He is already 3 years old and weighs about 15 kg. It’s unusual to honestly keep the pig in the house, but these animals are more like dogs in behavior, so we quickly got used to the new tenant. You need to take care of him, as well as a dog - a lot of attention, bathing, games. It is also important to make a good diet. We don’t sell fodder as such for mini-pigs, so we cook it ourselves. And since the pig’s appetite is atrocious, you have to limit your diet to strict portions. ”