Who is the most faithful and reliable friend of man? Of course a dog. Of their many breeds, there has always been, and is, the closest attention to one breed. They really deserve it with their wonderful temperament, their lifestyle and attitude towards people. This is a breed that ranks first in many countries of the world. Labrador Retriever.
In order to get this beautiful animal, breeders had to work hard. In the 19th century, they crossed two interesting breeds - a curly-haired retriever and a small Newfoundland.
The second breed of dogs has an excellent characteristic. They are distinguished by great industriousness and quick wit and were excellent helpers to people in fishing and hunting. Dog sledding with these animals was quite common.
These interesting dogs lived on the lands of the Newfoundland Peninsula. It was there that they were spotted by an English colonel and transported by him to the UK. After that, breeders and was bred dog labrador retriever.
On the islands of Great Britain, dogs had to work in coastal areas. They were indispensable helpers for local sailors and fishermen. Friendly Labrador Retriever character his ability not to damage his prey with his soft grip almost immediately determined what the future might expect.
And these assumptions fully coincided with reality. Labrador Retriever Puppies since then they are still considered the most popular and one of the best dog breeds.
Labrador retriever is often used as a lifeguard dog.
Dogs got their name from the name of the peninsula in eastern Canada. The official recognition of this breed was in 1903. Initially, it was only about black labrador retriever.
The year 1924 was remembered by the fact that in this breed appeared yellow labrador retriever. Some time passed and a little later the color of the color of these dogs was diluted by others. So it appeared Chocolate Labrador Retriever and Golden Labrador Retriever.
This breed first came to the Soviet Union in 1960. Due to their excellent qualities, they were appreciated by all, but popularity came to them only after 30 years.
Around the world, interest in these dogs is consistently high. Their friendly disposition, the desire from birth to please their master made them the most beloved family dogs.
Pictured Labrador Retriever fawn color
They are widely used in search and rescue operations. They can serve as ideal psychological support for unhealthy people and serve not only as rescue dogs, but also guide dogs. This is one of the best breeds used in customs operations.
They are still involved in hunting for game birds. In those areas of activity of people who cannot do without the help of dogs and where their balanced and stubborn disposition is required, the absence of malice, this breed is given the first place and no one argues with this for a long time.
Features and nature of the Labrador Retriever
Good nature, cheerfulness and a playful disposition - these traits are fundamental to the Labrador Retriever. The charge of energy and vigor of this cheerful healthy girl is enough with a head for everyone around.
His cheerfulness and optimism know no bounds. The family in which this dog lives has a calm atmosphere that infects everyone around with happiness and peace.
Homeliness and harmony are visible in every corner. Residents of many countries have for some time considered the Labrador Retriever a symbol of family happiness and prosperity. Therefore, many young families the first thing they do with the creation of their new family is to get a dog for themselves.
IN Labrador Retriever reviews a lot of words about their optimism in life. They say that their energy activity hits over the edge. They simply are not given to sit sadly and wait for entertainment.
If the owner does not have time to provide his pet with an entertainment program, he will easily organize everything on his own. Loneliness for this breed is absolutely not acceptable.
Pictured Labrador retriever chocolate color
They take it too painfully, so in such cases they can simply leave their home than sit and wait for attention to be paid to them. They are open for friendship with everyone, whether it is an adult, a small child, another pet in the family or just an occasional passer-by. They are not called to zealously guard their territory.
Moreover, the dog is located towards everyone, even to strangers. She can let them in and start a game. The only ones with whom they have incomprehensible relationships are birds. After all, it was on them that their ancestors were taught to hunt.
But there were not isolated cases when the Labrador Retriever had a real friendship with birds. And this once again confirmed their loving and friendly disposition.
This breed has a developed mind and quick wits. They are easily amenable to any kind of training and rejoice very much for this, with astonishing accuracy they carry out all the commands of the owner and fully cater to him.
Golden Labrador Retriever
The difficulty arises from their playful disposition. The dog can play too much and be distracted from the main task. Especially often this happens during their growing up, it lasts about 3 years. These are precisely those dogs who find it very difficult to part with children's fun even in adulthood, when they look solid and have already become parents themselves.
They quickly get used to people and are able to appreciate an attentive and caring attitude. With regular exercise, you can keep your dog in shape while eliminating boredom.
These curious natures and adventure lovers can take on a new smell when walking, so every owner needs to take this into service and watch them closely to avoid their loss. In addition, such a good-natured animal can simply be stolen. Therefore, it is advisable to chip the dog, with entering in a special database all the information about it.
The Labrador Retriever dog is quite large. But this absolutely does not prevent him from living comfortably in the apartment. In addition to physical games, it is advisable to load the dog intellectually. This will not let her get bored and relieve stress.
It is better to raise puppies from the first days of their lives. This will help to easily handle the Labrador Retriever in adulthood. They are quickly bored with monotonous activities due to their developed intellect, and crude methods of education with the use of force make them closed. After that, they do not trust people and completely refuse to carry out their commands.
Not being watchdogs, these dogs are still not averse to barking, especially near their home and in an excited state. They are food lovers, so in frequent cases they can quickly gain excess weight. This should not be forgotten by their owner and control the diet.
Black Labrador Retriever
Labrador Retriever Description
This is a large, strong and hardy dog. It affects her ability to work, she can work for many hours in a row. It is characterized by compactness and a well-developed body.
- The average weight of a standard male Labrador Retriever is 29-36 kg, females 25-32 kg. The height of the male at the withers reaches 56-57 cm, and the females are 2 cm smaller. Judging by photo of a labrador retriever, he is athletic, muscular, balanced and has no excess weight.
- The head of the dog is wide, wedge-shaped, with a convex forehead, on which a convex groove is clearly visible. The superciliary ridges are not very pronounced. The cheeks and cheekbones of the dog are clearly visible flatness and fit.
- The teeth are proportional in size, they are dense and even. The nose of the animal is wide, the nostrils are open. His lobe is always dyed in the color of a dog. The dog’s eyes are almond-shaped, brown in color, they have a friendly, calm and smart look.
- The ears of the dog are medium. The body is rectangular, strong, with a wide chest and back. Her limbs are strong and thick. On the fingers of the dog there are membranes due to which they swim perfectly. These membranes also help dogs to walk easily in the snow.
- The tail of the Labrador is very similar to the tail of an otter. It fits perfectly into the overall picture of the dog and does not stand out. It is of natural length, thickened at the warp and gradually narrowed to the tip.
Care and maintenance of a Labrador Retriever
Labrador Retriever Care does not require any special effort or financial costs. It is only important to remember that the dog just can’t stand it for a long time to sit idle and idle.
Thanks to his well-developed instinct and ability to quickly bring a ball or any other toy, you can easily find an activity for the dog that will help to let it off steam. It is advisable to visit with the pet special areas for animals or engage with him in any kind of dog sport.
Pictured puppy labrador retriever
Dog coat should be cleaned at least twice a week. During the molting period of the animal, this must be done daily. If the undercoat is not timely removed, the animal may develop dermatitis, although the Labrador is not prone to such diseases.
It is very important to protect the dog from the appearance of fleas that cause her unbearable suffering. Often bathing a pet is not necessary. Only 3-4 times a year is enough. It is advisable to choose the warm season and the period after the molt of the dog.
The eyes, ears and claws of the animal do not require special attention. It is enough to periodically inspect them and, if possible problems, take appropriate measures. To cut the claws use a special claw cutter. Many people complain that from Labrador Terrier it can often smell like a dog. This is an understandable problem. After all, the dog has a very dense undercoat.
This causes some discomfort when keeping the animal in the apartment. In order to at least somehow reduce the smell of the dog can be transferred to a special industrial feed.
Separately, we should talk about animal oral hygiene. His teeth require close attention to them. It is necessary to provide him with quality nutrition and to accustom to regular brushing. If a pet has plaque, it is advisable to show it to the veterinarian.
An important role is played by the full nutrition of the pet. From a properly selected diet depends on his overall well-being and health. It is better to opt for high-quality industrial feed, which will provide the dog with useful substances and trace elements and prevent its overeating. Natural food has more variety, but it does not have all the substances necessary for a dog.
Labrador Retriever price and owner reviews
Buy labrador retriever not difficult. But it is advisable to do this in special nurseries, so as not to fall for greedy divorces. When choosing a friend, you need to listen to your heart and, of course, to the advice of the seller. Labrador Retriever price with a pedigree from 350 to 700 dollars. Puppies without documents are cheaper.
Due to their good-natured disposition and wonderful attitude towards people, these dogs have earned the most flattering reviews from their owners. The only thing is that they are not quite suitable due to their mobility to older people and people suffering from allergies.
The history of the origin of Labradors
The breed "Labrador" can be called one of the most popular. The history of its origin was studied in detail. However, so far it has not been possible to determine the main stages of the formation of this animal. It is only known for certain that the ancestors of the dogs lived on the island of Newfoundland, and the animals received this name in honor of the Labrador province. In Britain, a dog was first introduced in the nineteenth century.
Interesting fact: Labradors are very good at training. They occupy the seventh place out of eighty dogs that have excellent intelligence.
Other researchers insist that the breed got its name because of the coat color. The first representatives of the breed were distinguished by a bright black suit. The color is very similar to the color of the stone "Labrador". One way or another, the ancestors of modern Labradors were Newfoundland dogs.
Interest in labradors appeared gradually. As they lived with people, more and more positive characteristics of the animal were noted. In the mid-nineteenth century, the popularity of these dogs was impressive. These animals were purchased by wealthy aristocrats and used during hunting. To demonstrate excellent hunting characteristics even demonstration competitions were organized.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the number of nurseries with labradors grew exponentially. Particularly popular were individuals of bright yellow and black color. At that time, dogs began to be considered not only as good hunters, but also excellent companions. And at the end of the nineteenth and at the beginning of the twentieth century, dogs of the Labrador breed began to lead ratings in many countries of the world.
Labrador - breed description
Labradors are distinguished by average dimensions, strong and fairly developed muscles. The head also has a medium size, is quite wide. Muzzle - trapezoid, brown eyes, round. The nose is usually brown or black - depending on the color of the coat. Ears are always lowered, have a triangular shape.
The color of the coat can be of three types: brown, yellow, black. Some individuals have a small white spot on their chest. These dogs do not know how to deny themselves food. They will eat as much as the owner gives them, even if they are no longer hungry. For this reason, they are easy to overfeed and bring to obesity. Obesity is not only not aesthetically pleasing, but also leads to serious heart disease.
The normal weight of the Labrador is:
- 30-36 kg in males,
- 25-32 kg in bitches.
Interesting fact: Labradors are energetic animals. It is important for them to create continuous activity. Dogs should be engaged in jogging and various exercises for at least thirty minutes a day. And better - more!
The height of an adult can reach fifty-seven centimeters (at the withers). Due to their physical parameters, these dogs began to be used in search and rescue operations, in various shows, for the search for explosives and drugs. Labradors are also the main assistants for the disabled.
A distinctive feature of the breed is its coat. It is thick, warm, shiny. Dogs are short-haired, on their body there are no brushes, waves. Labradors also have waterproof undercoat. It is very dense. This makes animals great swimmers.
Popular labrador colors
Dog BreedsLabrador"Have a two-layer. Wool It is straight, thick, water-repellent. The undercoat may remain dry even after bathing. Such wool does not require special care. The owner should bathe his pet no more than twice a month. This is enough to maintain cleanliness, regardless of color.
Today, the standard allows only three coat colors: black, brown (chocolate), yellow. However, unofficially there are several more possible shades:
- Silver labrador. This color was obtained as a result of crosses with weimaraners. The silver color looks amazing, but you can’t get to exhibitions with this color,
- Bright red labrador. He also calls one of the options for fawn. The origin of this shade is not known for certain,
- Spotted labrador. This is a breed marriage. This color is possible only after repeated mixing with representatives of other breeds,
- Faded pigment labrador. These dogs character fully meet the characteristics of the breed "Labrador", but they still belong to marriage.
Character and habits of Labradors
In many countries, Labrador dogs are personified with a happy family. After all, it is precisely these favorites that are most often brought up by young families with small children. And this is not at all surprising. To find the second such sociable and good-natured dog is quite difficult. Labradors retriever love children's attention. They can play with babies all day, or with older hosts.
Labradors are no less good-natured to other animals. They can easily get along with cats, will not offend rabbits or parrots. They are not aggressive towards people around, therefore dogs are brought up even for apartment keeping. Neighbors will never complain or fear such cohabitation.
Dogs of this breed are not dirty, if properly raised from early childhood. Puppies need to be actively involved in teaching teams and prohibitions. Labradors absorb all the information like sponges. However, if there is no proper attention from the owners, the dog can switch to various pranks.
These animals are very voracious. They can begging for sweets from the owners all day, indiscriminately eating food that accidentally fell to the floor. Such overeating quickly leads to obesity, especially if the dog does not exercise during the day. In order to prevent health problems, the Labrador must be accustomed to portion food and be sure to give the dog the opportunity to actively spend his day.
Labradors have an angelic, flexible character. They will be able to get along in a family with any composition. They will make friends with both young children and older people.
Interesting facts about Labradors
Dogs of this breed are excellent swimmers. They are able to easily overcome long distances in the water. A special body structure helps them in this: waterproof wool, otter tail, and membranes on the paws.
Labradors lack the concept of their territory. Therefore, their watchdog qualities are rather low. Pets can be friendly even to strangers.
Insatiable appetite is the main feature and vice of such dogs. They cleverly beg for all sorts of goodies right from the table during dinner. The owners should immediately stop such behavior so that in the future it does not "poison" the life of the whole family.
Labradors fantastically control the jaw muscles. They can carry an egg in their mouth without breaking it. This skill must be developed. To do this, exercises should be introduced into daily training with the transfer of various things from one place to another.
These animals are not very susceptible to pain. They can heroically endure various injuries, injuries. This ability makes them ideal companions in the process of conducting various rescue, police operations.
Despite the natural ingenuity and a high level of intelligence, physically, Labradors develop very slowly. Their maturity occurs only at the age of four. At the same time, appearance, growth, size do not play any role. The dog may look old enough, but it will behave like a little puppy. This must be considered when raising.
Pros and Cons of Labradors
Labrador has both advantages and disadvantages. Among the advantages of labradors it is worth highlighting:
- Constant positive. This dog will become a source of good mood for all family members. He is friendly, playful and very accommodating in character. Labrador owners, along with their pets, feel much happier
- Activity. Hard work, a high rhythm of life sometimes prevent a person from taking proper care of himself, his health. Labradors will not allow this! Walking with them, you can enjoy the fresh air, be active and even play sports. The dog will be a great partner on the playground,
- Love. Labradors are well-disposed towards the elderly, easily find a common language with young children. They will always be happy to welcome guests in the house. Such a dog does not need to be hidden in a separate room or be afraid that it will pounce on a new person in the house,
- Calm nature. Dogs of this breed do not bark for no reason. This is especially important for people who live in apartment buildings or have babies in their arms.
Despite the many advantages, the content of the Labrador has some disadvantages. So, the owner must necessarily allocate enough time for walks and classes. It is necessary to perform certain exercises with the dog and devote a lot of time to it. If this is not possible, you should reconsider your decision to purchase such a pet. Also a minus of the breed is the issue of hygiene. The dog has a long coat, twice a year she has a molt.
Breeding any animals is a painstaking daily work. Make such a decision must be balanced, especially when it comes to Labradors. These dogs need careful grooming, balanced nutrition, and special conditions. After the appearance of puppies, there will be even more worries. Not every person is ready for this both morally and materially.
Important fact: For breeding, it is important to guess the correct age. Do not use dogs under the age of two and normal growth. This is especially true for bitches. If they mate early, they will spend all their energy on maintaining pregnancy and puppies. This will not give them the opportunity to grow to their normal size.
Also, the most important stage of breeding is a detailed assessment of the health status of future parents. It is imperative to make sure that dogs do not have serious genetic, hereditary diseases. The examination must be carried out comprehensively, and it costs a lot of money. Only a veterinarian can give an informed opinion about the health status of a dog. Even if the dog looks full, it does not mean that he will give healthy offspring.
Only experienced breeders can determine the ideal time for mating, and not always. The easiest way is to do the mating every other day. Then there is a high probability that fertilization will happen. If this is not possible, you need to conduct a special analysis for progesterone. It will provide an opportunity to determine the time for reproduction. With artificial insemination, the appropriate time is determined using a special smear.
Labrador Retriever breed characterization
|For an apartment:||fits|
|Fits:||for inexperienced owners|
|FCI (IFF):||Group 2, Section 1|
|Lives:||10 to 12 years|
|Height:||53 cm - 61 cm|
|Weight:||25 kg - 36 kg|
Labrador Retriever - a large hunting breed, is considered one of the most popular breeds in the world.
The breed for humans has become an indispensable tool in many areas:
- It copes well with the work of a guide dog for blind people.
- For an avid hunter, he will be an excellent companion, possessing excellent instinct and soft grip (the breed has a special structure of its mouth, it is also called a soft mouth, it especially captures game and does not wrinkle bird feathers when serving).
- Will become a faithful and reliable friend and companion, for you and your child, there is completely no sense of aggression towards people and animals.
In England, Sweden, Finland, when receiving the title of champion on the exterior, each dog must be tested for compliance with the standard in behavior and psyche.
Caring for representatives of this breed is unremarkable. It is similar to the care features of other medium sized dogs. The only difference is the need to pay more attention to the ears. The ears of this animal are hanging, so they are very quickly and often polluted. Untimely hygiene of the ears can lead to the appearance of various diseases, inflammations. Ears need to be cleaned every week, and inspected almost daily. This will make it possible to prevent unpleasant consequences.
You can’t wash the dog too often. Washing should be done once every two months or as needed. For example, if a pet fell out in the mud, then it must be washed, regardless of how much time has passed since the last time. For washing, use special shampoos for dogs. When choosing a care product, it is best to consult a veterinarian. But when caring for wool, one should not forget about combing. You need to comb your pet once a week.
An important point in the process of care is the preparation of the right diet. In this case, you will definitely need to consult a veterinarian. Many doctors recommend feeding the animal with special, high-quality food. However, if possible, it is better to give preference to homemade food. Vegetables, natural meat, and cereals are suitable as feed. A doctor must participate in the preparation of the menu. We must not forget that Labradors tend to be overweight. Therefore, servings should be clearly limited in size and calorie content.
The history of the breed Labrador Retriever
Despite the name "Labrador", the homeland is the Newfoundland Peninsula.
The breed appeared in the 16th-17th centuries, thanks to a fisherman who managed to breed a smaller species of the Newfoundland breed. Possessing short and dense hair, she could be in the water for a long time, therefore she served him as an assistant, got and brought fish out of the water.
It got its name thanks to the sea in which they worked, namely the sea called Labrador. Later in the early 19th century, the Labrador was taken to England, where the breeders continued to breed and improve it. In 1903, the English Kennel Club recognized the new breed Labrador Retriever.
The first breeders brought the dog, with the criteria of an excellent hunter:
- Like retrievers, the labrador has leather membranes between his fingers. These fins make them the best swimmers among dogs.
- The tail is like an otter, its thick base works like a rudder in water.
- Multi-layered wool with thin layers of fat.
- A soft mouth or a soft mouth (a well-trained Labrador Retriever can bring a raw egg into the mouth without damaging the shell)
- Amazing ability to train (he is always concentrated and attentive, always striving to understand and fulfill the task assigned to him)
Although breeders wanted to breed a very healthy breed, they still had many genetic diseases.
Description of the breed Labrador Retriever and FCI standard (MKF)
- Country of Origin: United Kingdom / Canada.
- Destination: Retriever.
- FCI classification: Group 8 Retrievers, water dogs. Section 1 Retrievers. With working tests.
- General view: the Labrador Retriever is strong, compact physique, the skull is wide, the chest is deep, the ribs are wide, the front and hind limbs are strong.
- Temperament: Labrador Retriever is intelligent, agile, obedient, easily adaptable, a dedicated companion and an excellent family dog. It has a wonderful flair, a soft grip when serving game, it loves water. By nature, good-natured and affectionate, without aggression or timidity.
- Head: skull wide, clean lines, without fleshy cheeks.
- Stop (transition from forehead to nose): expressed.
- Nose: wide, with well-developed nostrils.
- Muzzle: powerful, not narrow.
- Jaws / Teeth: The jaws are strong, of medium length, the bite is correct, scissor-shaped, the upper incisors completely overlap the lower, the teeth are set vertically in the jaw.
- Eyes: medium sized, brown or hazel. The expression is smart, affectionate.
- The ears: hanging, adjacent to the head, set far behind, not wide, not heavy.
- Neck: clean lines, strong, powerful, well located on the shoulders.
- Top line: straight, horizontal.
- Loin: broad, short, strong.
- Chest: of good depth and length, with well-curved barrel-shaped ribs.
- Tail: very thick at the base, gradually tapering towards the end, of medium length, without suspension. On all sides it is covered with short, thick, dense hair, giving roundness to the otter tail. It rushes cheerfully raised, but should not bend over on its back.
- Forelegs: straight from the elbow to the ground when viewed from the front or side.
- Shoulders: long, inclined.
- Forearm: straight with a good skeleton.
- Feet: round, gathered in a lump, arched with well-developed pads.
- Hind limbs: well developed, croup not sloping toward the tail.
- Knees: with good angles.
- Metatarsus: hock joints low, cow setting extremely undesirable.
- Paws: rounded, gathered in a lump, arched with well-developed pads.
- Gait / Movement: free, with a good grip of space, straight and parallel to the front and rear limbs.
- Coat: short, thick, without waves and nibs, hard to the touch, thick undercoat.
- Height / Weight Labrador Retriever:
- Height at the withers: males: 56–57 cm, females: 54–56 cm.
- Weight: males 27–40 kg, females 27–35 kg.
- Defects: Any deviation from the above points should be considered a fault. The seriousness with which the deficiency will be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree of severity and impact on the dog’s health and the ability to perform traditional work.
- Disqualifying Defects: Aggressiveness or cowardice. Dogs with obvious physical or behavioral abnormalities are disqualified.
N.B .: Males should have two normally developed testes fully descended into the scrotum.
Labrador Retriever color
Photo of labrador retriever puppies in three colors
Labrador retriever is a wire-haired breed with a short, close-fitting coat. They have a hard outer hair and a dense, undercoat resistant to cold and water.
- The black
- Sand or yellow
- Chocolate (brown or liver)
- Silver (but not very popular at the American Kennel Club)
In representatives of black and brown, a small white spot on the chest is allowed.
Labrador Retriever character
By nature, the Labrador Retriever is affectionate, friendly, mischievous, active, playful, smart and sociable. It easily adapts to any conditions of detention, to different environmental conditions, tolerates cold well, but can live anywhere. He is always ready to please the owner, and is friends with the people around him. It is impossible not to love the Labrador Retriever, everyone loves him, he, in turn, responds with great devotion and tenderness.
When you want to buy a Labrador retriever, you need to remember that they are big pranksters and mischievous people, and it is not easy for an elderly person or too young and inexperienced breeder to cope with them. The house gets along well with various other animals, cats, guinea pigs, other dog breeds, parrots, etc.
From other hunting breeds, the Labrador Retriever is distinguished by a soft grip (the so-called soft mouth), which makes it possible not to crush the bird, excellent instinct, great passion for water. He has a good and complaisant character, an excellent reaction, and many breeders claim that he is a passionate hunter, easily adapts to a new place, and a very devoted companion. A smart, smart, affectionate, and insightful dog will be a great friend for you and your family.
Pictured Labrador Retriever - side stance
The Labrador Retriever is an excellent assistant in hunting for different birds, who like to hide in hard-to-reach places, for example, pheasant, other hunting breeds are not always able to raise this bird to the wing.
With improper feeding and a sedentary lifestyle, it is common to gain excess weight, so the owner must clearly understand what kind of dog he has, and strives to provide him with sufficient physical activity.
The Labrador Retriever lends itself well to training, easily makes contact with a person, but the training process itself should begin with puppyhood. He can easily memorize 300 human phrases. But on the scale for determining the dog’s mind, they stand only in 7th place, while the Border Collie takes the honorable first place, and the poodle second. The best dog for training, thanks to a sharp mind and a strong desire to please the owner. They are capable of many things: with their help they find bombs, weapons and drugs, they can find and save a person who has fallen under the rubble, this is an excellent guide for blind people.
In the photo, a black and white labrador retriever near the lake
Between the owner and the Labrador, communication is especially strongly developed at a subconscious level, as if they understand each other at a glance, or a half-word. She loves to move, run, swim and dive a lot. In water, it can swim at a speed of 5 km per hour. He just needs a daily long walk, at least an hour in the morning and preferably two hours in the evening. Be sure to provide the opportunity to run and stretch your leg muscles. She loves movement, while running the Labrador Retriever can reach a speed of 20 km per hour.
Little puppies will also need to take time for long and fun games and activities. Remember the labrador retriever is not kept in the aviary, you should not even try to force him to live there. He needs a human society and constant communication with him.
Sleeping place for a dog in the house
When you want to have a Labrador Retriever, you must clearly determine his position in your home and understand that you have made a loyal and reliable friend and future family member. Labrador retriever puppies have one unpleasant property, while they are small, they love to bite. This should be suppressed from the first months of life. Experienced breeders recommend teaching the puppy a biting ban. Very carefully, let's lick the hand, puppies have milk teeth very sharp.
The house must have a place where she can be and feel safe, and know that this is her territory. Prepare the place in advance, and when you bring the Labrador Retriever into the house, you take him there inadvertently.
To feel comfortable, a Labrador needs to:
- It is in a quiet place.
- Should not be drafted.
- Placed away from sources of heating in the house.
In most cases, the owners choose a corner in the room. Never place a house in the kitchen or in the bathroom. It is advisable to clean up the place of the pet every day, be sure to do wet cleaning, and clean the litter for the dog.
At least once a week, it is recommended to wash the floor with a detergent and disinfectant, and the litter must be washed. During molting periods, cleaning will have to be done twice a day. The bowl must be kept clean and washed with hot water and a drop of detergent.
Remember that its strong tail can sweep away any object from a low table, so place fragile and small things at a height.
You should always remember that the Labrador Retriever needs not only feeding and care, but also your love, affection, attention and communication.
How to choose a healthy Labrador Retriever puppy
Labrador puppies photo in barrels
When acquiring a Labrador Retriever puppy, it is better to contact an experienced breeder, examine the place where the dog grows, evaluate its activity and health, they should be active and reasonably fed. If possible, see the puppy's parents, find out their pedigree and medical history.
Labrador puppy parents should have tests for dysplasia of the hip and elbow joints, and a test for the result of the DNA test "prcd-PRA", this is the definition of the genotype, which allows you to divide the animals into three groups: healthy (homozygotes for a normal gene copy), carriers (heterozygotes) and patients (homozygotes for mutations).
That is, in the words of the breeders, there should be tests on the arms, legs and eyes of the dog.
Be sure to look at your passport, the necessary vaccinations should be made for the purchase period, according to age, and deworming should be carried out (prevention of the removal of worms).
Always pay attention to the psyche of the puppy's parents, if they are exhibition, working dogs, have diplomas, you can accordingly understand that their psyche is in order.
Not all dogs attend exhibitions and receive diplomas, in this case, just pay attention to how an adult dog meets you, whether it is aggressive, or not cowardly.
Labrador Retriever Care
One of the nice features of the Labrador Retriever is not too painstaking care for him. Labrador retriever shorthair, seasonal molt, 2 times a year, moderate. Thick waterproof coat must be cleaned at least 2 times a week. During molting, comb on the street every day.
Be sure to comb your pet with a massage brush or rubber mitten, this will be an excellent massage for him, improve blood circulation, remove excess dirt and dust.
It should be bathed as it becomes soiled, but not more often than after 7-10 days. After all, bathing too often flushes away natural fats that protect the coat. During rain, slush, or simply for any reason, you are not able to wash after a walk, put on overalls.
Regularly inspect paws after a walk, check for injuries and cracks. In winter, paw pads perfectly soften olive or sunflower oil.
Cut the nails once a month, with a nail clipper for large breeds. Be sure to inspect the ears, wipe the inside of the auricle with a damp cotton swab.
Inspect your eyes regularly; to prevent souring, wipe the eyes of a Labrador with a weak tea brew 1 time per week. If you notice redness, souring or profuse tear secretion, it is better to consult a veterinarian.
Be sure to treat your pet once a month with a remedy for ticks and skin parasites (“frontline”, “advantix”, etc.). The drug is applied to the withers, closer to the neck, so that the dog could not lick. After application, do not bathe for 10 days.
Labrador Retriever Food
The health, activity and life expectancy of a Labrador are directly related to his nutrition. The owner must choose what to feed the dog with ready-made dry food or natural food. If you are a busy person, you do not have time to cook, feed the finished dry food of the highest quality, premium class, according to its age, health and body weight. The proportions are indicated on the package.
It’s convenient for you to cook natural food, it’s your business, and besides, you always know what is in the food. With natural feeding, the main thing to remember is how to feed a Labrador, and what foods are strictly forbidden to him.
Useful products for a Labrador:
Photo Labrador Retriever is played with his favorite toy
- Low-fat meat (beef, lamb, rabbit)
- Poultry meat (chicken, turkey)
- Porridge (buckwheat, rice)
- Lactic acid products, low fat
- Skim cheese
- Boneless sea fish
Prohibited products for dogs:
- Pork and any fatty meat
- Bakery products
- Smoked meats
- River fish
- Fatty Broths
- Fried foods
Labrador diet should be balanced. A dog’s weekly menu should include the following foods:
- Natural meat. You can give turkey, horse meat, chicken, beef. Meat can not be bought the most expensive. Tenderloin is more suitable for cooking dishes for people. The Labrador enjoys the sinewy parts with pleasure. Meat can be given raw, boiled. It all depends on the taste of each individual animal,
- Liver, kidney, heart. In these parts there are a lot of useful substances. However, you can’t give them raw
- Cereals. Rice, buckwheat, wheat porridge will do. Give pearl barley and oatmeal with caution. These foods are less absorbed and may cause an allergic reaction in your pet. You can add regular vegetable oil to the finished porridge,
- Fish. This product must be present in the diet of the animal. Fish contains a lot of phosphorus, protein, iodine. All this is necessary for the development of the dog and maintaining its physical strength. Fish need to choose lean. If the product is given in raw form, then it is imperative to carry out antihelminthic measures,
- Dairy. Labradors love cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt. Raw yolks can be added to these foods. Raw protein should not be given. He is not digested
- Fruits vegetables. Labradors adore beets, zucchini, carrots, cabbage and other vegetables. Grate the vegetables, adding sour cream to the dish. In such a vegetable salad, you can add raw chopped greens. This is a storehouse of vitamins for your pet. Fruits can be given raw or boiled.
Diseases and Health Problems
The most typical, common disease for a Labrador is obesity. This is due to the natural tendency of the animal to overeat. If a person does not carefully monitor the amount of food eaten, then it is impossible to avoid obesity. Labradors gain weight very quickly. Obesity can lead to more serious health problems. So, in a dog thyroid function may decrease. This disease is usually detected after taking a blood test.
Also, after obesity, problems with the musculoskeletal system, arthritis may develop. To avoid such troubles, it is necessary to properly develop a daily pet diet.
Hip dysplasia. The possibility of this disease is affected by several factors: heredity, environment, growth rate, animal nutrition. The ailment is quite serious and often requires surgical intervention. In advanced cases, a joint replacement at the Labrador may be required. This is a dangerous, expensive operation.
Osteochondrosis is another common ailment of Labradors. It is often seen in puppies up to eighteen months old. Osteochondrosis is a thickening of the bone of the cartilage. This disease appears due to a genetic predisposition, or is caused by too intense growth of the animal and malnutrition. Treatment of osteochondrosis is long and requires the use of several methods at once. Apply surgery, various ointments, painkillers.
Labrador retriever - price and how to buy
The decision to acquire a Labrador puppy must be balanced. Labrador is quite expensive. The cost of a puppy ranges from five hundred to a thousand dollars. Non-purebred puppies are usually sold for a nominal fee. It is best to take a thoroughbred puppy from a good nursery. For the right choice, it is better to consult with a dog handler first.
If it is not possible to consult with a dog handler, then with an independent choice it is worth paying attention to the following aspects:
- Healthy bitch will protect her offspring. If the dog runs away or does not listen to the breeder’s commands, then you should refuse to buy puppies. These are signs of mental abnormalities. They can be transmitted to offspring, which does not appear immediately, but only in adulthood,
- The conditions for keeping dogs must be good. It is important to pay attention to the place to sleep, the room temperature, the presence of food, and drink. The breeder’s attitude towards his pets is also important,
- Puppies should eat with appetite. It is imperative to wait for the moment of feeding and to trace how puppies eat. Healthy dogs eat with great appetite,
- The puppy must be no older than five months. It is by this age that basic habits and the character of the Labrador are formed. In the future, the dog’s behavior can only be adjusted, but not completely changed,
- The coat should be thick, shiny, and its color should be standard.. Wool is an important indicator of animal health. If she raises questions for you, it is better to refer such a puppy to an additional examination to a veterinarian.
Labradors are loyal, strong and intellectually developed dogs. They are hardy, almost immune to pain, have a sharp sense of smell and learn quickly. These dogs are not just beautiful pets, but also real helpers in search and rescue operations. They bring great benefits and become indispensable helpers for people with disabilities.
The history of the origin of the breed Labrador Retriever
Until now, experts can not say exactly how and where the breed originated. There are many versions of the origin of hardworking and executive dogs.
One of the most common versions says that the ancestors of the breed were dogs bred by the Eskimos of Newfoundland. These dogs were found and described in the 19th century in the vicinity of the Newfoundland port city of St. Johns. Eskimos used animals with a strong and compact physique, having waterproof wool, as a workforce. Dogs went fishing with the owners on a boat, searched for lost gear, collected fish thrown ashore, held the boat rope with their teeth when they approached the shore. The ancestors of the Labradors went hunting with the owners, were used as draft power for carrying luggage in teams.
According to the second version, the place of origin of the breed is the Canadian Labrador Peninsula.
The third version, the most interesting, states that the Portuguese, when they first saw the ancestors of the breed, called strong and efficient animals “hard workers”. And in Portuguese, the word "hard worker" sounds like "labrador."
Breeding seriously engaged in England in the 19th century. And in the first decades of the 20th century, representatives of the breed have already spread first in the USA, then throughout the rest of the world. In this regard, today there are two approved breed standards. The English standard is older, recognized in 1988, and the American standard, later, approved in 1994.
Appearance of a Labrador Retriever
Labrador Retriever is a beautiful, neatly built, muscular dog. Males grow up to 60 cm at the withers, females - up to 58 cm. An adult male weighs 28 - 35 kg, a female - 25 - 32 kg. A detailed description of the appearance of the dogs is given below.
- Head. Wide, massive. The shape of the face is classic.
- The ears. Triangular, saggy, small. They are located close to the back of the head.
- Eyes. Almond-shaped. Widely spaced. Glance smart, understanding, curious.
- Torso. Elongated, strong, stocky. The chest is wide, voluminous. The neck is thick, muscular. The back is straight, strong.
- Limbs. Relative to the body of medium length, strong. Paws are rounded. There are membranes between the fingers.
- Tail. Tough, agile. Tapers from base to tip. Usually has a horizontal direction.
- Wool. Short, rough, dense. It has a water-repellent property and does not allow cold. The undercoat is thick, well developed.
- Colors. There are three main colors: black, brown, fawn. But the golden, red and cream colors of the coat are considered acceptable. A white spot on the chest is not a breed defect.
Many ignorant people confuse the Labrador Retriever with the Golden Retriever. The breeds are really similar, they are included in the hunting category. It is difficult to distinguish a yellow labrador from a golden retriever, but some differences still exist.
- Labrador is smooth-haired, and the Golden Retriever has a beautiful flowing coat.
- The colors of the Labradors are diverse, and the Golden Retriever has an exceptionally golden coat.
- In representatives of the first breed, the tail is hard, thick, like a stick. In dogs of the second breed, the tail is elegant, covered with a long feather-like coat.
- Labradors are heavy, stocky dogs suitable for hunting rather large game. Golden Retrievers - slender, sinewy dogs designed for bird hunting.
The nature and behavior of the Labrador Retriever
Labradors are distinguished by decent behavior and high intelligence. From the representatives of the breed make loyal friends, reliable companions and excellent helpers. Dogs are positive, sociable, but unobtrusive, friendly to people. The Labrador knows how to subtly feel the emotional state of the owner, to adapt to the owner's mood, therefore, does not cause irritation, does not bother with his behavior.
Representatives of the Canadian breed are great friends and nannies for children. The dog can be safely left with the child in the room or on the playground. Neither the people scurrying around, nor the running of screaming and laughing children, nor other annoying factors disturb the calm and unflappable Labrador.
An interesting fact should be noted when a dog comes from a bad family, where she was beaten, tormented, raised incorrectly, to good owners, then she quickly forgets the negative experience and acquires positive characteristics.
However, a person who decides to have a Labrador Retriever needs to consider one thing. The breed is intended for close working interaction with a person, therefore its representatives are acutely affected by loneliness and inactive lifestyle. An unrealized and lonely dog for a long time begins to rage and act up. It can continuously howl long, annoying neighbors, spoil furniture, nibble shoes. But the owner must understand that he himself is to blame for the tricks of the pet, since he does not pay enough attention to him. If the dog does not have a shortage of masterly love and care, then his behavior can be called ideal for the canine.
Also, the future owner of the Labrador needs to consider that dogs of this breed mature slowly, and puppies are active and constantly naughty. Despite the long period of growing up, the puppy must learn to train as early as possible, otherwise the pet will grow out of control. Experts recommend teaching your pet to walk on a leash from a very young age, since an adult Labrador who is not accustomed to a leash cannot be kept.
A well-bred labrador gets along and has good contact with any pet. A peaceful, sociable and friendly dog finds contact with small hamsters, and with large horses, and with cats, and with parrots.
In the kitchen, the owner should carefully monitor the pet while cooking. Labradors tend to steal food from the table. If theft is not available, then the dog resorts to cunning, begins to put pressure on pity, asking for food: it makes the face sad, and his eyes hungry, he whines, touches his feet to his master's legs. But the owner should be calm, feed the pet strictly according to the schedule, since the breed is prone to obesity.
Every day the dog should walk, physically engage. Walking and training are not only useful for the canine organism, but also do not allow the pet to get bored and dirty with idleness. Labrador Retriever is a breed that does not belong to the guard group. The dog will meet the guests in the house with a loud bark, but this will not be a warning, but a joyful and welcoming bark.
Labrador is a great companion for traveling by car and cycling. Vehicles do not cause dog irritation. The four-legged favorite is happy to accompany the owner riding a bicycle, and he is also a problem-free passenger of the car. A well-bred dog, even during a long journey, comfortably sitting on the seat, calmly and enthusiastically examines the scenery outside the window, without disturbing the driver.